Friday 29 March 2013

The Light Show at the Hayward Gallery

The Light Show at The Hayward Gallery is one of the best, most inventive show I've seen in years. It was bright and in your face but in a really good way that took my breath away briefly. Unfortunately you'll have to take my word for it on most accounts as they have a strict no photos policy! I managed to get a cheeky one from the staircase but the gallery assistants look more like bouncers and weren't to be messed with!


The piece by Leo Villareal, Cylinder (above) took me by surprise when I first went in and I must have watched it for about five minutes! The more subtle pieces, like David Batchelor's 'Magic Hour' that you can see in the background take a bit more reading around - I heard one couple say 'it looks like it's the wrong way around!' which admittedly I thought as well on first approach! After reading into it a bit more though it's a clever take on dusk in Las Vegas and it's made up of old signs from burger shops, strip clubs, shops, etc. and creates a nice glow.


 
I'm still scratching my head at Jim Campbell's 'Exploded Views' (video courtesy of Youtube above) - looking at it for 75% time you see just normal, flashing lights, but look at just the right angle and you can clearly see people walking the lights - not the flashiest piece in the exhibition but one of my favourites.
 
Carlos Cruz-Diez, 'Chromosaturation', 2010
 
Other pieces including Carlos Cruz-Diez's Chromosaturation allowed me to get really involved with the piece by walking inside - this is so different from other exhibitions and I really enjoyed the whole experience. Another piece along these lines, Anthony Mccall's You and I, Horizontal (2005), took my breath away- I don't think pictures can do it justice but it was incredible being able to get 'in' to the light. I could have stayed in that room all afternoon, the streams of light and mist were dreamy. Go and see it, see it now!
 
Anthony Mccall, You and I, Horizontal, 2005
Image courtesy of http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21250361
 

 
And finally, a review of this exhibition wouldn't be complete without mentioning Olafur Elanson's Model for a Timeless Garden (2011). The piece (from Youtube above) was difficult to watch for long as it was such a visual assault with the strobe lights but worth a look as it seems like magic when you're in the room. Some of the other works fade into the background against he stronger work but this exhibition seems to have a lot of strong works to see.
 
Well worth a visit (although, going when it's quiet is best as there were warnings of huge queues for the weekend) and for only £5 with a National Art Pass (£11 full price) it's a steal.
 

2 comments:

  1. My friend went to see this on Monday, and while she was there a small child ran into onto of the pieces, smashing on of the stip lights - very dramatic sound apparently! Poor art. (The child was fine btw!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I bet the attendants panicked - that would have been a good time to sneak a photo in of one of the pieces!

    ReplyDelete